Saturday, October 2, 2010

Today's Culinary Experiment Fried Bee Hoon

I was born with a healthy appetite for food, there is a kikuyu saying "mwana mwega no daa" meaning a good child is one who eats. Having been brought up with that saying eating was a big deal to my mother. So I came to love good food.


Today I will b experimenting using a recipe from http://www.limecake.net/ , I will post my results on Monday lets see how good I am at this

Pic from limecake.net, lets see if mine will look this way
 Fried Bee Hoon
 serves 1
  • ¼ standard packet of dried rice vermicelli
  • ¼ cup julienned carrot
  • ¼ cup beansprouts
  • 2 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 tbs vegetable oil (preferable peanut)
  • Dash of thin soy sauce
  • Dash of dark soy sauce
  • White pepper powder
  • Fried shallots, for garnish
  • Cilantro, for garnish
  • Sambal belacan, to serve (optional)

 Soak vermicelli in cold water until slightly softened (about half an hour).

In a hot frying pan, stir fry garlic in oil until fragrant. Add carrot, mushrooms and beansprouts. Cook until vegetables are just soft.

Add noodles, dash of thin and dark soy, and pepper. Toss well. Taste for seasoning, adding more thin soy as needed. Don’t overcook noodles.

Serve immediately with fried shallots, cilantro and sambal belacan

No comments: